Last night I had the honor of spending a few hours with my colleague Jean Spivey’s wonderful class at ACC as her substitute teacher. MBPT students are required to take traditional music classes such as Music Fundamentals to address the constants of music as well as classes in music business and technology. There are classes in Commercial Music Theory, Songwriting, Applied Music Lessons and several Ensembles. The MBPT course inventory includes classes such as Survey of the Music Business, Legal Aspects of the Entertainment Industry and five other courses to enhance student’s knowledge of the music business. There are sixteen Music Technology courses including MIDI and Synthesis classes, Live Sound and Audio Engineering, taking students from beginner to advanced levels. While these classes teach the fundamentals of the technology they also address changes as they occur. They also stay connected to the community recording in-store performances at Waterloo records, student internships at local music businesses (RajiWorld has had many ACC MBPT students over the years) and by providing volunteer opportunities for students at events such as SXSW. The faculty remains connected to the community via live performances in and around Austin and working with local music businesses and charitable organizations. I shared my excitement for Black Fret, SIMS, HAAM and all of Austin’s unique organizations we are so grateful to have available. I was able to hear about each of their current experiences in addition to goals they had for my talk and post graduate level work. Each and every one of these students was engaging and I think an asset to our local business landscape. I learned a lot just being with them. To The Future!
ACC MBPT AND THE FUTURE OF ROCK AND ROLL (AND RAP, AND CLASSICAL…)
- JESSE DANIEL EDWARDS RELEASES JUNE 23THE 10-SONG ALBUM TAPS INTO MELODRAMATIC ‘70S ROCK AND PIANO BALLADRY TO GRAPPLE WITH TALES OF MODERN TRAGEDY FIRST SINGLE “I’M SO HAPPY (I THINK I MIGHT CRY)” AVAILABLE NOW – LISTEN HERE Nashville, TN – Jesse Daniel Edwards will release a new album entitled Violensia on June 23 via Cavity Search Records (PRE-SAVE HERE). … Read more
- RAJIWORLD IS, AND HAS ALWAYS BEEN A SAFE SPACE!Transgender Rights are Human Rights! The inhumane space we live in at this moment is not good for anyone. Transgender people come from all walks of life, and HRC Foundation has estimated that there are more than 2 million people across the United States. identifying as transgender with many, many more afraid to identify! They … Read more
- SXSW 2023Hit me up if you want to get together in Austin. Music Mentor Session Location: Hilton Room 412 Date: Monday March 13, 2023 Time: 10 AM Del Castillo Mar 15, 202310:45pm — 11:45pm at Cooper’s BBQ Marshall Hood Mar 19, 2023 1:00am – 1:50am Continental Club Warren Hood Mar 19, 202312:00am – 12:45am Continental Club
- FANS MAKE OUR WORLD GO AROUND!THANK YOU! 86% of fans won’t cut concerts despite high ticket prices & inflation, Bandsintown survey reveals Bandsintown surveyed 2200 of their 75 million registered users to see if live music remains a priority for them despite higher ticket prices, inflation, and fears of a recession. The results were decisive and offered hope for touring … Read more
- WE LOVE AMERIPOLITAN LOVEFEST2023What is Ameripolitan? The Ameripolitan Awards Weekender website‘s list of nominees for the 2023 honors ends with a note defining the term as “a word that represents the different heritage of roots music that inform the artists that you see here. Much of the music is hard to define to a single genre and as musicians, … Read more